Wymore is the second largest town in Gage County. It is located at the junction of Big Indian Creek and the Blue River. Wymore’s peak population, 2,626, occurred in 1900. The 2013 census takers recorded 1,414 residents.
Wymore was platted and recorded on the 21st of May,1881as a railroad town, on land donated by Samuel Wymore. It is said that two full blocks of businesses sprang up in just 16 days.
Sam Wymore Days is celebrated each June to honor the contributions Mr. Wymore made to the town.
Wymore is known as the Welsh Capital of the Great Plains; Wymore became home to generations of immigrants from Wales, who founded a Welsh-language church, a school and cemetery.
In 1903 there were 8 parks in Wymore. There was camping, two swimming pools, and a dance pavilion. Arbor State Park, was the 1910 site of the county fair. The Wymore Arbor State Park baseball ballfield has one of the few covered, behind the plate bleachers in the state. Dog races and harness racing were held in the park. This park is enjoyed today, as is McCandless Park.
By 1910 Wymore had several miles of new cement sidewalks and the first street lights were completed in 1911. Wymore has successfully maintained many blocks of the original brick streets laid in the early 1920’s, using locally made bricks. Wymore receives their water supply from the springs located near Blue Springs.
In 1917, the Fortnightly Club wrote a letter to the Carnegie Foundation concerning the building of a library. Work began that year and the library opened on May 15, 1919. An addition to the library building was completed August 2002.
Many school houses are part of Wymore’s history. East Ward, West Ward and the present school building built in 1925, which has been updated and expanded. In the fall of 1968, Wymore, Blue Springs and Holmesville were combined and called Southern High and Southern Elementary District #1
The community prospered as a railroad town until after WW II, when other forms of transportation became more popular, cars, trucks and airplanes.